Sunday, August 11, 2013

Need

"And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19

"Mom, I need..." Can't you just hear a child offering up this sentence in regards to the latest video game, electronic device, cell phone, toy, shoes, backpack, and the list could go on for eternity. I NEED a new house, a new car, a new purse, new shoes, a new boat, a new gun, a new _______. We, as Americans, have confused what we need with what we want or feel we deserve. You can't turn on the television without being bombarded with commercials advertising the latest and greatest product that you'll ever need. Black Friday, after holiday sales, holiday sales, promotions, all of them used to convince us that we need to buy this, that, or the other. 

Consider this... What do we really, REALLY need? We need food, shelter, water, clothing, and to feel safe and secure. Those are the most basic items that are needed for us to survive. We WANT nice clothes, a nice house, a nice car, gourmet food, and so on. 

Hear my heart this morning please. We are blessed to have been born in America. We are offered chances and things people around the world would kill to have. God chose for us to be born Americans. There is purpose there. We have to be willing to embrace that purpose and utilize what we have for the furthering of what God has called us to do. Has God supplied all your needs? Do you have a house? Do you have clothes? Do you have food? Do you have more than you asked for?

This morning, as I am preparing to head to church with some of the most giving and thankful people I know, I am pondering this question. What do I really need? Here is what I have come up with so far. I need the children here in Kenya. I need to be in their presence. I need to hear their stories. I need to feel their arms wrapped around me. I need to hear their voices as they sing. I need all of that and more.  

The children here are precious. I know I have said that on more than one occasion. It is the absolute truth. Many of you know that I have been having to stay at home for the last several days because I have been quite sick. It has not been the most fun experience of my life, but it was needed. I needed to rest. I needed to recharge. I needed to regain the perspective I had when I first arrived in Kenya. Friday afternoon, I was finally able to go see my kids at the orphanage. As soon as we pulled up, two girls were ready to run to the car to open my door. I was greeted with hugs and words too precious to repeat. Those words were for me from children who were speaking what God had undoubtedly put in their hearts to tell me. Tears threatened to fall. I was overjoyed and overwhelmed all at the same time. 

As much as I need from these children, they need the same things right back from me. They need my presence. They need me to listen. They need me to pray. They need me to hug them. They need me to sing with them and for them. They need me. Some days they just need a smile. Other days they need me to comfort them. The point is that I've got to be there for them. 

Today the question I pose to you is this, what does God need for you to do with what you have where you are? What is it that you are being asked to do for someone else? I encourage you to take a little time and just look around you, I mean really look. Look beyond what someone says and listen for what they need from you. You might just be surprised at the answer. 

Until next time,
Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment