Thursday, July 11, 2013

Dramatic music, shocking pictures of children dressed in rags, and one celebrity or another speaking about the horrors of this country or that where the children live... Those were the images that I had in my head in preparing for this trip. I know that a lot of it was just unrealistic, but at the same time it did reflect some of what I experienced.

Life has fallen into somewhat of a predictable routine. I have a schedule of when I am teaching the children each day and can sort of begin to plan out my days. I never dreamed that I would be coming to Kenya to teach fifth grade math, that's for sure. After class, we leave to go have lunch, and shortly after that it is time to head out to the orphanage. After the orphanage it is time for supper and then some relaxation time. The next day the pattern is the same. I'm not going to lie, I love it when life finds its pattern and I can settle in and get to work.

Through all of this though, there is one truth that seems to be resounding. Kids are kids, no matter what situation life has placed them in. Kids still want to play. Kids still desire boundaries. Kids still desire affection and attention. I love to sit outside and just listen to the games that the kids play in the yard in front of the school. They play on playground equipment, draw in the dirt, and make toys out of nearly anything that they can get their hands on. It was no different at the preschool. The kids made food and who knows what all else out of wood chips.

I am completely humbled by the fact that two little girls from the orphanage have declared that I am going to be their mother forever. They are such sweet girls with some of the same spunk and spirit that I seem to remember seeing in myself when I was their age. They are smart, funny, energetic girls that make me smile every time I see them at school or the orphanage. They make the "Mom" part of my heart come to life.

 Can you imagine the impact that the sappy TV commercials would have if they would just show the kids being kids, instead of trying to make people feel sorry for them?  Please hear my heart, I am not saying that there are real problems that need to be addressed in countries around the world. I know that's the truth. Just look back at some of the pictures that I posted in earlier blog posts. There are real people, really suffering, who need to know about Jesus and who need a helping hand.

Like I said, kids will be kids regardless of their situation. They will still play. They will still laugh. They will still seek out affection and attention in whatever ways they can. These kids in just a few short days have all captured pieces of my heart, through their singing of "making Melody in my heart" to their constant "How are you's". The days ahead are likely to be filled with challenges and things I have never considered before, but for today I am perfectly content to tell you that life is good. I am happy. I am learning more and more each day about the plans that God has for me while I am here in Kenya and I wouldn't trade where I am for anything in the world.

Love to you all!
~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment